Château - The History
According to the legend the Château Bayard would have been built by the four sons Aymon who were escaping Charlemagne’s anger.
The four brothers would have escaped on the back of the sturdy Bayard horse, which would have then given its name to the Castle.
It is in 1390 that Jean, the Earl of Namur’s son, acquires the Castle, the tower and the lands of the Dhuys and the Bayard. After becoming Jean III, Earl of Namur, he bequeaths his assets in 1420 to his son, Philippe, and then sells the Namur earldom to the Duke of Burgundy, in 1421. Since then, Philippe de Namur’s descendants took over the Château Bayard.
The last Namur d’Elzée, vice-president of the Senate, and his wife, Marie de Saint-Mauris, finished the “modernization” of the castle and the horse stables in the XIX century. At the death of the latter, in 1914, the estate is bequeathed to his nephew, the Earl de Brouchoven de Bergeyck.
Since the 6th of May 1995, the Château Bayard has hosted seminars, meetings, weddings and receptions. These last few months, numerous transformations have been realised to host you even better.